Deciding to add in new habits is the easy part, that's what most of the population do on New Years Eve,  but we all struggle to make new habits stick, whether it's cutting out sugar, walking 10,000 steps every day, drinking more water, they all require us to make adjustments to our current lifestyles, so to help make the transition smoother here are 10 tips on forming new habits and sticking to your goals

 
Focus on new habits, not outcomes – Losing weight is an outcome of a weight loss plan; it’s your new habits that achieve the outcome. Changing bad habits to good ones help will lead you to the outcome you seek.
 
Have a goal, but prepare to adjust - If the goal is to run 10 km then get a training plan to get you to your goal, but if you get sick, or go on vacation halfway through the plan then be prepared to adjust the plan to suit, not just throw in the towel because it went off course a little.
 
Decide in advance – So, you are going to a Birthday party, you know there will be an offering of cake, and you don't want to eat it. Well rather than having to think on your feet at the party when it is offered plan ahead and have an answer ready, you will probably be congratulated on your willpower, when all it was is planning ahead.
 
Find what works for you. – Everyone is different, so things will not work the same for everyone. Be prepared to tweak a diet plan to make it work for your body or change the exercise plan to fit into your schedule.
 
Do things you don't like - Not many people like to write food diaries, get out of bed earlier, plan meals, etc. But to be successful you have to make sacrifices and accept these habit changes as an inevitable part of the journey to your success.
 
Determine a level of forgiveness – Most like to try and stick to the 80/20 rule, where you follow the plan for 80% of the time and “cheat” for the other 20%. If you do follow this where did you get this 80/20 figure from? Does it work for you? Would 90/10 be a better option? If you don't experiment you will never know!
 
Be consistent – Stop switching from one plan to another if results are not forthcoming in 5 days, give your body time to respond and adjust, only make small tweaks instead of completely moving on to the next best thing.
 
Eliminate decision making - Most of us struggle with decision making, it’s all too easy to keep second guessing and it uses conscious thought, which after a long day at work the energy to think is probably in short supply. For example, you get in at 6 pm, nothing is planned for supper, what are you going to do? Well, probably reach for something processed and easy of course. Create a habit of prepping and plan ahead of time and cut the last minute panic decision making process out.
 
Make it sustainable - Take it off, keep it off! - 95% of people who lose weight will put it back on again in a few years! Why? Well, one of the main reasons is that it wasn't a weight loss method that was sustainable. Chugging down diet shakes for 6 months and losing 50 lbs taught you nothing about food or yourself, it was a means to an end that wasn't sustainable in the long term. Only do now what you can do for the rest of your life.
 
Take responsibly for your actions – Stop blaming everything around you that is in your control. People only complain about things they have control over, no one ever complained about gravity when they fell down and they cut their knee when gravity had a huge factor in the injury. I have nearly heard every excuse in the book over the last 10 years as to why it couldn't be done and 99% of them were within the person's control to make changesYours In Health.
 
Richard Insley
 
 
 
 
2018-04-02 13:31:59